Black Bean & Butternut Squash Soup (inspired by Sprouted Kitchen)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2+ cups chopped kale
- 3-4 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked, black beans (~ 1 can, rinsed & drained)
- salt to taste (~1 tsp)
- (optional) avocado, for garnish
- (optional) cilantro, for garnish
Heat the oil in a deep soup pot & sauté the squash and onion until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, kale and spices, stirring occasionally. Next add the broth and beans cook until warmed (~3 mins). Remove and blend a portion of the soup. Then add it back to the pot (this is for thickening purposes).
Feel free to tweak the consistency as you want with either cornstarch (to thicken) or water (to thin).
Add more spice if necessary but be aware that both chipotle and cayenne are spicy, so start small.
You can cook your beans from scratch or used canned for the sake of time.
Any greens will do in this recipe, collard greens, or chard would be awesome.
You could also swap yams/sweet potatoes for butternut squash.