Hey September! Welcome to the show…
Even though I’m not a student, I know what this month means for all you summer vacationers (the end of sleeping in ‘til noon and wearing swim suits all day long). Goodbye beach reads, hello homework.
Kyle is just wrapping up his summer internship, so in a couple of weeks it will be back to the MBA
grind party. Which means…it’s lunchbox time again!
BYOB (bring your own box) is how we roll in this hippie household.
- price (so much cheaper than buying meals on campus or at a cafeteria)
- health (do I really need to emphasize how much better for you a home-made quinoa and bean dish is than a “beef” burrito from Taco Bell?)
- preference (when you pack your own food, you don’t have to make menu substitutions)
And check out this post if you need advice on keeping your work space/locker/dorm room stashed with healthy staples.
For meals, I just use leftovers from dinners or whatever I have on hand. It’s not rocket science. Grains + veggies = lunch. Oats + fruit/nuts = breakfast.
For snacks, I try to give myself several options so I don’t turn to an unhealthy alternative in a moment of
weakness desperation. This may mean I lug around excessive food, but it’s better than turning to something I wouldn’t eat at home, just because I’m out and about with no healthy food reserves. Everything is portable, you just have to get creative sometimes [I admit, soup isn’t exactly the easiest, but I do it].
Mentally, I have a checklist for to-go snacks that looks something like this:
- Salty? (nuts, pretzels, etc.)
- Sweet? (dried fruit, Larabars, etc.)
- Crunchy? (fresh fruit, veggies)
- Comfort food? (pitas and hummus)
There’s also hot, cold, savory, spicy, etc. (you can imagine the possibilities…), but as long as I’ve anticipated ways to meet each kind of craving, I’m more than likely going to stay satisfied with my BYO options.
To help others get in the back-to-school mode, please share your favorite on-the-go meal/snack in the comments section below. The more you offer up, the better a resource it will be!